Marcos all set to file complaints vs alleged vote discrepancies

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(file photo)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Amid reports on alleged irregularities in the overseas absentee voting (OAV), vice presidential candidate Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. said his camp is set to file complaints at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), Commission on Elections (Comelec), and Smartmatic.

In a statement released on Wednesday (May 4), Marcos said his camp already gathered at least 10 complaints from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who expressed concern on the alleged cheating.

The bulk of the reports are coming from OFWs in Hong Kong, Japan, Dubai, and California.

Also read: Duterte keeps wide lead, Robredo overtakes Marcos in latest Pulse Asia survey

Marcos claimed that, based on the reports, it appears that only he and his cousin, senatorial candidate Martin Romualdez, are the only ones losing votes in the OAV.

“Sa ngayon, nakapagbuo na kami ng almost sampu na complaint na dadalhin namin sa DFA, sa Smartmatic at sa Comelec para pag-aralan nila, imbestigahan nila at tingnan nila kung ano ang nangyari dito," he said.

[Translation: Right now, we have processed almost 10 complaints which we will bring to DFA, Smartmatic, and Comelec for their review, investigation to identify the truth behind the incident.]

Also read: Marcos on Martial Law: It was 30 years ago

During a press conference last week, Marcos disclosed they received a report from an OFW in California who supposedly voted for him, but a different name appeared on the latter's vote receipt.

Also read: Former anti-martial law activists back Marcos’ VP bid

The lawmaker said the "worrisome part" is that all reports cite that the votes he is losing are being transferred to other candidates. It has never happened, Marcos said, that votes for the other candidates were transferred to his name.

Also read: Why some Filipino voters want another Marcos

As Marcos camp called on concerned government agencies for a "credible" and "official" investigation, Marcos also appealed to voters and poll watchers from all camps to be vigilant and alert as May 9 draws near.

"Kaya naman nanawagan po ako sa lahat — hindi lamang sa mga supporters ko, sa lahat ng mga supporters ng lahat ng kandidato — na talagang magbantay tayo ng mabuti para hindi magkaroon ng problema at maging mapayapa, maayos at kapani-paniwala yung magiging resulta ng ating botohan," he said.

[Translation: That's why I ask everyone — not just my supporters, but to all supporters of all candidates — to see to it that the elections may bear amicable, clean, and credible results.]

In a recent interview, Arthur Lim, commissioner-in-charge of the Comelec, claimed a voter can easily claim that there's an anomaly in his or her receipt — but the body remains committed that it will look into the matter.

"Hindi po totoo na maraming VVPAT (voter verified paper audit trail) na hindi tugma sa binoto ng ating mga kababayan. Walang complaints of that sort na talagang masabi mong maraming ganoon," Lim said.

[Translation: It is not true that there are many VVPAT which do not match with whom our countrymen voted for. There are no complaints of that sort wherein you could categorically say that there are such incidents.]

Related: Marcos worries about reports of cheating in overseas polls