Trudeau: Canada will not give in to 'fear-mongering tactics'

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has released a statement on the alleged death of a second Canadian hostage at the hands of the Abu Sayyaf Group.

On Monday, a statement from Trudeau was published on his official website.

He said that there was "compelling reason" to believe that Robert Hall was killed by his captors.

Here is Trudeau's full statement:

“It is with deep sadness that I have reason to believe that a Canadian citizen, Robert Hall, held hostage in the Philippines since September 21, 2015, has been killed by his captors.

“While Canadian officials are working closely with authorities in the Philippines to formally confirm Mr. Hall’s death, we have compelling reason to believe that reports to this effect are, unfortunately, true.

“The vicious and brutal actions of the hostage-takers have led to a needless death.

“Canada holds the terrorist group who took him hostage fully responsible for this cold-blooded and senseless murder.

“With the tragic loss of two Canadians, I want to reiterate that terrorist hostage-takings only fuel more violence and instability. Canada will not give into their fear mongering tactics and despicable attitude toward the suffering of others.

“This is precisely why the Government of Canada will not and cannot pay ransoms for hostages to terrorists groups, as doing so would endanger the lives of more Canadians.

“We are more committed than ever to working with the Government of the Philippines and international partners to pursue those responsible for these heinous acts and bring them to justice, however long it takes.

“The Government’s top priority, and my own as Prime Minister, is the safety and security of Canadian citizens.

“On behalf of the Government of Canada and all Canadians, I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Hall.

“They have suffered a terrible loss, and this is a devastating moment for them. Our thoughts are with them as they mourn this tragedy. I would ask that the media respect their privacy, and allow them time to come to terms with their loss.

“Today marks yet another difficult day for Canada and for Canadians as we grieve as a nation for the loss of both John Ridsdel, who was killed on April 25, and Robert Hall.”

AFP confirming reports

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is still verifying reports that Hall was killed by the ASG.

Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom) spokesman Maj. Filemon Tan Jr. said that the military received intelligence reports on Monday afternoon that there had been a beheading.

The AFP said it was doing its best to confirm the reports.

Tan added, "If the head is already seen, that is a sure confirmation already."

The ASG had set a 3 p.m. deadline for ransom.

Hall was among four people abducted by the bandits in September 2015.

Hall, Kjartan Sekkingstad, a Norwegian; Marithess "Tess" Flor, a Filipina; and John Ridsdel, also a Canadian were kidnapped from Samal Isand.

The ASG had initially asked for a ransom of P1 billion for each hostage and set a deadline for April 8

The ransom was lowered to P300 million for each hostage after the deadline was moved to April 25.

Ridsdel was killed on April 25 after the deadline lapsed.

Read: Abu Sayyaf beheads Canadian hostage John Ridsdel

President Benigno Aquino III had ordered that all effort be exerted to rescue the hostages, however, the government maintained its no ransom policy.

On April 26, Canada and Great Britain both said that they would not pay ransoms to free kidnap victims.