Duterte, Robredo to hold separate inaugurations

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — President-elect Rodrigo Duterte and Vice President-elect Leni Robredo are likely to hold separate inauguration rites, the spokesmen for the two incoming leaders said Wednesday.

“We were informed by the team of President-elect Rody Duterte about their preference to hold the inauguration separately,” Boyet Dy, Robredo's transition team head, said in a statement. "While we have been preparing for a joint inauguration, we respect their decision and will begin our own preparations for a simple and modest ceremony."

Duterte and Robredo are to be sworn into office at noon on June 30, the start of their six-year term.

Duterte and Robredo: What do they have in common?

Incoming Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) chief Martin Andanar said that Duterte's oath-taking would be held at the Rizal Hall of Malacañan, unless the protocol officer changes the plan.

However, Andanar wasn't clear when asked if Duterte really wanted to have his inauguration separate from Robredo's.

He said Duterte has not made up his mind about it but, at the same time, implied that having a joint inauguration would be unlikely because of space constraints.

"The President-elect has not yet decided. It is not yet final but, you know, considering the limited space available, since the President-elect only wants 500 people inside the hall, I think it would be quite impossible to fit all of the guests of both the president and vice president," Andanar said.

Dy said Robredo, the outgoing representative of the third district of Camarines Sur, would take her oath of office in Metro Manila. He said she wished to be sworn in by Ronaldo Coner, the barangay chairman of the “smallest, farthest and poorest barangay” of the third district of her home province.

Limited guests, 'simple finger food'

Duterte last month said he wanted a frugal inaugural affair at the Malacañang Palace. He said it would be a quick ceremony which would be followed by a speech on national television to spell out his administration's plans and policies.

After his speech, Andanar said members of the Duterte Cabinet would take their oath before the newly-installed President.

After these, Duterte and incoming Foreign Affairs Sec. Perfecto Yasay would welcome the diplomatic corps.

There will also be performances by musicians who campaigned for Duterte.

"Simple finger food" will be served during the reception, while guests are advised to wear their Filipiniana.

"It will simply be your simple finger food: maruya or fried banana and ordinary juice drink. The President-elect would appreciate if guests can come in Filipiniana attire for the ladies and Barong Tagalog attire for the gentlemen," Andanar said.

Meanwhile, the incoming PCOO secretary said he was unaware if losing vice presidential candidate Sen. Bongbong Marcos was  among those invited.

"I'm not privy to that. I don't really have any idea who the other guests are. All I know is we invited senators. Of course, the traditional [guests] that you invited: the Speaker of the House and special guests of the president. As for the list of invites, I don't have it in front of me," Andanar said.

Duterte last month said he wants a frugal inaugural affair at the Malacañan Palace. He said it will be a quick ceremony which will be followed by a speech on national television to spell out his administration's plans and policies.

CNN Philippines correspondents Ina Andolong and AC Nicholls contributed to this report.