Deadly Davao City explosion: Latest developments

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Davao City (CNN Philippines) — An explosion from an unknown source struck a crowded night market in Davao City on Friday evening, leaving at least 14 people dead and several injured.

This is what CNN Philippines knows so far about the incident:

At least 14 people dead, at least 68 injured on the spot at around 10 p.m. Friday

Among the dead were 12-year-old Daniel Larida and his mother, and SPO1 Jay Abresin who is assigned at the Aviation Security Command, according to Davao City police

Another minor, 17-year-old Cristyl Deculongon from North Cotabato and a student of San Pedro College in Davao City also died on the spot

President Rodrigo Duterte says he is placing the country in a state of lawlessness, but clarifies it is not martial law

Duterte asks the Armed Forces of the Philippines and Philippine National Police to run the country according to his specifications

Three more people died in the hospital as of Saturday morning, says Dr. Leopoldo Vega, director of the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC), the hospital nearest to the site. The Davao Police Regional Office Spokesperson Chief Inspector Andrea dela Cerna says 14 died and 67 people are injured as of Saturday morning

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte says the city will not be terrorized by the "heinous crime"; calls on Davaoeños to rise from the "senseless incident"

Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa urges calm following the explosion

Department of Defense orders the military to be on high alert especially in urban areas for possible "terroristic act attempts"

President Duterte's trip to Brunei canceled

Secretary Delfin Lorenzana says the Defense Department is assuming the Abu Sayyaf Group will target urban centers, such as Zamboanga City, Cagayan de Oro City, General Santos City, Cebu City, and Metro Manila

Mayor Sara Duterte says the Office of the President confirmed through text on Saturday that the blast was a retaliation by the Abu Sayyaf Group because of the ongoing operations in Jolo

Dela Rosa says the police is on full alert status nationwide, 100% of personnel on standby; Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila also in full alert

Dela Rosa denies the blast was triggered by the government to declare martial law

Amid confusion as to which parts of the country is under state of lawless violence, Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo clarifies it will be implemented nationwide. Panelo says the clarification was made by Duterte's assistant Bong Go.

Panelo says state of lawless violence declared not only because of Davao blast but also for crime, drugs, terrorism and the Abu Sayyaf; he says the government will add more checkpoints and may implement curfew in necessary areas

Archbishop Romulo Valles officiated a mass for the victims of the deadly blast

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre says the Department of Justice will form a task force to conduct a fact-finding investigation of the incident as soon as possible

Dela Rosa says they have three persons of interest – one male, and two females

Department of Social Welfare and Development Secretary Judy Taguiwalo says her agency will send social workers to Davao City to provide counseling and assistance to those affected by the blast.

Davao City police say a mortar-based improvised explosive device detonated by a cellphone was used in the blast.

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio on Monday offered a ₱2-million reward for the arrest of persons involved in the blast that rocked the city that killed 14 people and injured at least 68 individuals.

This is a developing story. Kindly refresh for the latest development.

CNN Philippines Senior Correspondent Ina Andolong, Digital Producer Lara Tan contributed to this report.