Former Bureau of Corrections OIC surrenders to NBI

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Former Bureau of Corrections Officer in Charge Rafael Ragos — who is also a former Deputy Directof of the NBI, co-accused with Senator Leila de Lima in the alleged Bilibid drugs trade — surrendered to the National Bureau of Investigation in Manila on Sunday, February 26, 2017.

A Muntinlupa court ordered his arrest together with Senator Leila de Lima and her former aide Ronnie Dayan for their alleged involvement in illegal drug trading.

Ragos, in his testimony, claimed he delivered millions of pesos from Bilibid inmates to De Lima's house when he was assigned to work for the New Bilibid Prison.

He also testified that De Lima would normally give in to requests of high profile inmates

Read: Sen. Leila De Lima arrested over drug charges

NBI Deputy Directors Reynaldo Esmeralda and Ruel Lasala, earlier named Ragos as an official who helped in the alleged illegal drugs trade inside the NBP.

Read: Ex-NBI officials tag former Justice Secretary as 'Mother of all Drug Lords'

Co-accused

Ragos surrendered four days after a Muntinlupa regional trial court issued a warrant for his arrest.

In October last year,  Ragos testified at a congressional inquiry that he delivered millions of pesos on several occasions to then Justice Secretary Leila de Lima to fund her senatorial campaign.

On February 17th, Ragos, along with de Lima and her driver Ronnie Dayan, was charged before the Muntinlupa RTC for violating the Dangerous Drugs Act and an arrest order was issued 6 days later.

Both de Lima and Dayan are now under police custody.

Read: Court orders law enforcement agencies to arrest De Lima, et al

Sixto Burgos, OIC at the Office of the Deputy Director for Intelligence Ragos picked up Ragos in Quezon City at around 10 this morning.

Burgos says it took Ragos a few days before turning himself in because his camp claimed they needed time to prepare their pleadings and other legal documents.

NBI Deputy Director Ferdinand Lavin says Ragos underwent a medical exam and results show he is in good health. He was booked, fingerprinted, and photographed in the presence of his legal counsel.

As for the next step, Lavin says Ragos will be brought on Monday to the Muntinlupa Regional Trial Court  which issued the arrest warrant.

He said, "The arresting team will make a return of the warrant. The court issued the warrant and the arresting team will inform the court by way of a return that the warrant had already been executed, that it had been served on the person of Rafael Marcos Ragos. With a prayer that if the court will allow nbi to keep custody of Deputy Ragos."

He added, "The lawyer prepared a motion that Ragos be kept in the NBI. If the court grants that, we will bring him back to NBI."

For now, Ragos will stay in the NBI compound until the court decides where to detain him.