Marcos to government: If you find our alleged ill-gotten wealth, it's yours

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 5) — The Marcos family has proposed to settle the issue on their alleged ill-gotten wealth, even agreeing to return it to the government.

Former Senator Bongbong Marcos said if government finds the supposed ill-gotten wealth, it can have it.

"Kung meron kayong hinahanap na nakatago sabi namin kung tapat ang paniniwala niyo meron kaming tinatago, kung mayroon kayong mahanap inyo na (If you're looking for hidden wealth, if you find it it's yours). It is called in legal terms 'quitclaim,'" Marcos said in a forum.

He added they will cooperate with the government and whatever the authorities find to be considered hidden wealth will be returned by the family.

"Whatever they might be and the government is saying na may tinatago pa kami, we will help you find it and you can have it. Quitclaim nga eh. Anything that you find, sa inyo na. That's the stand. There's no deadline, no limitation, no qualification, nothing. Kung sinasabi niyo may tinatago, nahanap ninyo, hindi namin ilalaban, inyo na," he said.

(Translation: If they claim we have hidden wealth, we will help you find it and you can have it. It's quitclaim. They can have anything they find. We won't fight it.)

No agreement, however, has been reached yet.

Marcos said his sister, Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos, discussed a "quitclaim" with President Rodrigo Duterte.

"There is no (existing) quitclaim. That is our proposal. We are proposing ganito ang gawin natin. We have not come to an agreement with anybody," he said.

He said the family's long proposal of quitclaim was denied by then-President Fidel V. Ramos, despite being approved by the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG).

"We have issued that quitclaim since Ramos. We had already signed an agreement on that basis with then-Chair (Magtanggol) Gunigundo of PCGG pero ayaw lang ni Ramos," he said.

Marcos, however, did not give details on what the proposed "quitclaim" contained.

Marcos said their family has identified the properties the family has owned before his father, former President Ferdinand Marcos, declared martial law in 1972.

"We have identified what are easily shown to have belonged to the family. The house in San Juan, the house in Batac, the house in Paoay, the properties in Tacloban. Clearly sa amin. Maliit pa ako eh andyan na 'yang mga bahay na 'yan (We had those houses when I was a child)," he said.

Marcos added although his sister has mentioned the quitclaim proposal to the President, talks between Duterte and their family have been "sporadic."

"The lawyers I think have made preliminary discussions pero nothing substantial has been decided yet even the process, who will be involved," he said.

Duterte earlier said a spokesperson for the Marcoses told him the family will "open everything and hopefully return" some of their wealth through a settlement.

As of 2015, the PCGG has recovered a third of the estimated $10 billion ill-gotten wealth of the Marcoses, at more than $3 billion or P170 billion. Aside from properties, the PCGG said Marcoses may have amassed up to 300 pieces of artwork.

"We are always willing to settle. Pag-usapan natin," Marcos said.

CNN Philippines correspondent Camille Abadicio contributed to this report.