Police confiscate Bong Revilla's phone after jail selfie

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 22) — Detained former Senator Bong Revilla's cell phone has been confiscated — hours after he posted a selfie on Facebook from his jail cell.

PNP spokesman Senior Superintendent Benigno Durano told CNN Philippines in a text message that the phone was retrieved after "a swift inspection" by the Headquarters Support Service (HSS) on Thursday night. He also said the service was looking into why the phone wasn't spotted earlier.

"An investigation is being conducted by HSS to determine the circumstances surrounding that apparent breach of regulations, despite unannounced inspections of all the cell blocks at least twice a week," Durana said.

The HSS is a unit that has supervision over Camp Crame Custodial Center, where Revilla has been detained since 2014.

"The ax will fall where it should the moment an investigation clearly established culpability of any personnel," Durana added.

The actor-turned-lawmaker, who is accused of conspiring with businesswoman Janet Napoles in the multi-billion pork barrel scam, posted the selfie to mark his fourth year in detention.

As of publishing time, Revilla's picture is no longer available — and the last public post on his page dates back to 2012.

"This is four years away from my family, missing out on the milestones of my children's lives, four long years I can no longer get back," Revilla wrote in the caption to his picture.

He said that he was tired, but he would continue praying for justice.

"May mga panahon na dumating sa akin na talagang gusto ko na sumuko. Pagod na rin po ako. Pagod na pagod na," said Revilla. "Ganunpaman, higit akong kumukuha ng lakas ng loob sa inyo at ibayong tiwala sa Panginoon na matatapos na rin naman lahat ito."

[Translation: There are times when I really want to give up. I'm tired. I'm very, very tired... Be that as it may, I get strength from you and from belief in God, that all this will be over soon.]

Just last week, the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan denied Revilla's latest plea to defer his plunder trial.

Napoles is accused of funneling P10 billion in lawmakers' funds to bogus non-government organizations, with the help of at least three senators — Revilla, Jinggoy Estrada, and Juan Ponce Enrile.

All three were detained, but Revilla is the only one among the initial accused left in Camp Crame. Estrada and Enrile have since been allowed to post bail due to lack of evidence and health reasons respectively.

CNN Philippines Correspondent Gerg Cahiles contributed to this report.