Xiamen Airlines official: Pilot, first officer faced CAAP

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Cranes lift the Xiamen Air aircraft from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport after it skidded off the runway on August 16.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 20) —  An official of Xiamen Airlines confirmed Monday that the pilot and first officer of the plane that caused the runway mishap at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) have met with officials of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP).

Kevin Yang, station manager of Xiamen Airlines in Manila, told CNN Philippines both the pilot and the first officer are still in the country and that they "are in the investigation" with the CAAP, but he was unable to give any information about when the meeting happened.

"They are in the investigation with the CAAP, but I cannot tell other things about the investigation, including the time and date," he said.

He did confirm, however, that recovery flights were mounted Sunday for passengers who were stranded in the country, and these were approved by the CAAP. He did not say how many flights there were.

Yang, likewise, said Xiamen Airlines has spoken to the pilot, but did not elaborate on what happened during the conversation.

"For myself, I do not know any information about this. I don't know what did the pilots tell anybody," he told CNN Philippines.

Yang was also unable to give any information about whether the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder of Xiamen Airlines Flight MF8667 were with the CAAP.

"No comments for this. I cannot tell if it's with CAAP or not...about this question, you can interview the CAAP about this," he said.

When asked whether the airline was prepared to accept sanctions regarding the incident, Yang could only say he did not understand what "sanctions" meant, and finally said "no comment, sorry."

Monday, August 20, marked the fourth day since flight MF8667 slid off NAIA's 6/24 runway while landing amid a downpour. Onboard were 157 passengers and eight crew members.

The plane's nose wheel collapsed while its left engine ripped off, as it bounced and veered off the runway.

The incident prompted aviation authorities to close the runway for more than 24 hours. As a result, more than a hundred domestic and international flights were canceled or delayed while some were rerouted to Clark or Cebu airports.

The runway was re-opened on Saturday morning, but the chaos following the mishap has affected thousands of passengers, with some waiting at the airport for three days.

Senator Grace Poe said she would call for an investigation into the incident.

CNN Philippines Pia Garcia, Robert Vergara, and Rex Remitio contributed to this report.