Supreme Court upholds third martial law extension in Mindanao – sources

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 19) — There's no stopping martial law in Mindanao after the Supreme Court again junked petitions against it.

Two court sources told CNN Philippines nine justices voted on Tuesday to uphold the third extension of military rule in Mindanao, until December 31 this year. Only four magistrates were against it – Associate Justices Antonio Carpio, Marvic Leonen, Francis Jardeleza, and Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa.

The decision followed oral arguments in January on three petitions against martial law filed by Albay First District Rep. Edcel Lagman, the Makabayan bloc in the House of Representatives, and lawyer Christian Monsod.

The court previously junked all petitions to lift martial law in Mindanao.

President Rodrigo Duterte first declared martial law in the island region in May 2017 as government forces fought with terrorists in Marawi City, capital of Lanao del Sur. Congress has granted all three requests for an extension as the President said military rule is needed to quell the rebellion in Mindanao.

This is a developing story. Please refresh page for updates.