‘Angkas’ hopes for favorable decision as pilot run ends

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

FILE PHOTO

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 14) — Ride-hailing company Angkas is hoping the Department of Transportation will allow them to fully operate as its six-month trial run is about to end.

In a statement Thursday, the company said it was "overwhelmed" by the support it received from passengers since June.

"As the end of the six-month pilot draws near, many have asked about the status. The pilot was never intended to be permanent. What happens after this is up to the decision of the TWG. The most that we can do now is hope that the DOTr and our other stakeholders were able to see the merits of our service and how we are able to help alleviate the struggles of our countrymen in their daily commute so that they can finally allow the legalization and regulation of our service," the statement said.

The company said it has made sure it complied with the standards set by the technical working group (TWG) convened by the Department of Transportation (DOTr), and recognizes the fate of 27,000 biker-partners will now be "in the hands of the government" after the pilot run.

"We are confident, however, that we have been able to live up to the expectations of both the government agencies and the Filipino commuters and that we will be able to continue providing efficient, fast, and affordable transport services to our countrymen," said Angkas.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board shut down Angkas in November 2017, saying the company has no business permit. The agency also maintained motorcycles are not among the type of vehicles which may be considered for public transport under the country’s Land Transportation Code.

Angkas challenged the transport regulator's order before the Mandaluyong Regional Trial Court, which later issued a preliminary injunction on the government shutdown.

But just a couple of months after Angkas resumed operations, the Supreme Court issued in December last year a temporary restraining order against the Mandaluyong court decision, which meant transport regulators can again apprehend violating motorcycle units.

Angkas was then given the green light to operate on a trial basis in Metro Manila and Cebu from June until the end of 2019.