Plastic waste dumped in PH will be shipped back to Hong Kong June 3

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 31) — Tons of mixed plastic waste dumped in the country early this year will be returned to Hong Kong on June 3.

This was confirmed by Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) collector John Simon in a statement on Friday.

"The Bureau of Customs is pleased to announce that the re-exportation of the e-waste from Hong Kong will push through this coming Monday, June 3, 2019 at 9 a.m.," read the statement inviting the media to cover the event.

Over 25 tons of trash, misdeclared as “assorted electronic accessories,” have been stuck at the MICT in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental since January 2, environmental group EcoWaste Coalition said. The group called on the Chinese government to look into the case.

READ: Philippines to send back Hong Kong trash – Palace

A spokesperson for the Environment Bureau and Environmental Protection Department of Hong Kong told CNN Philippines last Monday that it will get in touch with Philippine authorities to investigate the trash shipment.

The impending repatriation of the trash from Hong Kong comes as 69 container vans of garbage were shipped back to Canada on Friday.

Reports of shipments of trash from Australia, Hong Kong and South Korea have cropped up amid the Philippines' row with Canada over nearly 2,500 tons of garbage illegally shipped to the country in batches from 2013 to 2014. President Rodrigo Duterte last month threatened to go to war with Canada if it fails to pull out the waste soon. Manila also recalled its diplomats in the North American country, but they were ordered to return on Friday, as the garbage finally left the Philippines.