'You just wait': Duterte vows 5-minute travel time between Cubao, Makati

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 9) — Traffic congestion in Metro Manila will improve before the year ends, enough to drastically cut the travel time between Cubao in Quezon City and Makati City to just five minutes, President Rodrigo Duterte said Saturday.

"You just wait. Ayaw ko mag-ano (I don't want to..), but things will improve maybe God willing, December smooth sailing na," Duterte said in an interview on Pastor Apollo Quiboloy's program "Give Us This Day."

"You don‟t have to worry about traffic. Cubao and Makati is just about five minutes away," the chief executive added.

The current travel period from Cubao to Makati can take around 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic situation.

Duterte attributed the supposed development to China.

"Mabuti na lang nagpunta ako ng China. China nagtulong," he said.

[Translation: Good thing I went to China. China helped.]

Duterte, since he assumed office in 2016, has established stronger ties with the Asian giant, which funds some of the projects under the administration's ambitious "Build, Build, Build" program.

In November last year, in fact, Chinese President Xi Jin Ping made a historic visit to the Philippines, where he and Duterte witnessed the signing of the memorandum of understanding for at least 29 deals between the two countries.

READ: PH, China sign deals on oil and gas development, infra projects