Duterte unlikely to assign Faeldon to other government posts

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

File photo

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 10) — President Rodrigo said there could be no more government posts for former Corrections chief Nicanor Faeldon.

"Hindi na siguro. May tumanggap na sa kanya, private corporation," Duterte answered after he was asked to give a categorial statement on Faeldon's fate.

[Translation: It's unlikely. He was already hired by a private corporation.]

The President fired Faeldon — who previously held the position of Customs chief — on September 4 for supposedly disobeying his order to stop the release of more convicts under the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law.

"Faeldon has to go because Faeldon disobeyed my order," Duterte said. "He should've echoed my orders to him. No releases, sabi ng Office of the President [the Office of the President said,] until further notice by higher authority. Higher authority could only mean [Executive Secretary Salvador] Medialdea, [Justice Secretary Menardo] Guevarra at ako."

However, the President said he still believes in Faeldon.

"Tarong na nga tao (He is an upright man). I still believe in him," Duterte said in a speech delivered to landslide victims in Naga, Cebu on September 6.

He said Faeldon tipped him off about the multibillion-peso tax evasion case of tobacco company Mighty Corporation.

Faeldon is currently embroiled in the alleged freedom-for-sale scheme supposedly involving officials from the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).

Yolanda Camelon, the wife of an inmate at the New Bilibid Prison, recounted at a Senate hearing how she paid BuCor officials to have her husband released early.

Faeldon, who was present at the hearing, said it was the first time he had heard of it.