Intel chief denies sharing 'fake news' on social media

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 4)— The head of the country's intelligence agency on Sunday denied accusations that he has been spreading false information on social media.

"During the deliberation of the NICA (National Intelligence Coordinating Agency) budget, Congressmen Carlos Isagani Zarate and Sarah Jane Elago who are members of the Makabayan bloc… accused that my posts in my Facebook account are fake, implying that I am a purveyor of false information," NICA director general Alex Paul Monteagudo said in a statement.

"I, therefore, categorically deny the said accusations," he stressed.

Monteagudo found himself in hot water during last week's House budget deliberations, as lawmakers questioned why he has been sharing supposed unverified and "unreliable" information on his social media account. These include posts linking some opposition lawmakers to terrorist groups.

The intel official, however, defended himself, saying the posts he shares on his personal page are those he finds " inspiring, entertaining, or informative."

"I am sharing the posts because I believe that it is the duty of every Filipino to defend our Constitution, our democracy, and our people against groups such (as) the CPP/NPA/NDF that seek to violently overthrow our duly constituted government," his statement read.

"I am sharing their posts which call for the protection of family and our children from exploitation and abuse of this communist terrorist group."

Around two weeks ago, social media giant Facebook announced it has removed dozens of accounts linked to state security forces for fake social media activity and "coordinated inauthentic behavior."