Typhoon Ulysses kills at least 13, leaves 15 missing

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

At least three people have died due to heavy rains and destruction brought by Typhoon Ulysses, initial reports from local authorities said on Wednesday. (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 12) — Over a dozen people died amid the torrential rains and massive destruction brought by Typhoon Ulysses (international name: Vamco), latest reports from the police said on Thursday.

The Philippine National Police said 13 people were reported dead by its local offices - two in Metro Manila, six in Cagayan Region, one in Central Luzon, one in Calabarzon, two in Bicol Region and one in Cordillera Region.

The PNP earlier said one female resident in Runruno, Quezon and one male resident in Jones, Isabela were among the casualties. Meanwhile, 15 persons including ten in Cagayan Region, one in Calabarzon and four in Bicol Region remain missing and 20 others are injured.

However, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council was only able to confirm one death, one injured victim and four missing persons so far.

It is also unclear if any of these casualties were among the victims earlier reported by local authorities.

Camarines Norte Governor Edgardo Tallado told CNN Philippines there were three residents who have died so far in the province. That includes one person in Daet who was electrocuted while on top of his roof and two people in Labo town — one was killed in a landslide and the other was a child buried under an uprooted tree. He said three fishermen are also missing.

The Office of Civil Defense in the Bicol Region in its 1 p.m. report mentioned that the Daet casualty was a 68-year-old male resident of Purok 1, Barangay Bagasbas. It added that a 70-year-old man from Purok 1, Barangay Gabon also died after slipping and falling to the floor.

In Benguet, a 60-year-old man in Busoc, Poblacion in Atok was killed after a clump of bamboo trees fell on his house due to strong winds, local officials said. A 30-year-old man was also reportedly killed in Sebang, Buguias during a landslide while he was attending to his vehicle outside in the rain. He was declared dead on arrival at the hospital, the local government said.

The NDRRMC's 5 p.m. report said there were 25,031 displaced persons in 273 barangays from Cagayan Region, Calabarzon, Mimaropa and Cordillera Region, of which 14,417 are staying in evacuation centers. The rest are "outside evacuation centers" or seeking shelter in their kins' homes.

It added that 196,696 were preemptively evacuated in various affected regions such as Ilocos Region, Cordillera Region, Cagayan Region, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol Region and Eastern Visayas.

The OCD-Bicol also said four people are missing, while eight are injured. As of 12 p.m., there have been 188,987 persons displaced in the region, with 180,581 people staying in evacuation centers.

The PNP added that it has deployed 5,807 search and rescue personnel with 10,953 on standby.

NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal also earlier assured that 363 search and rescue teams - about five to eight people per team - were deployed to areas with residents in need of saving. The priority local government units for rescue operations are Rodriguez and San Mateo towns in Rizal province, and the cities of Marikina and Pasig in Metro Manila, Timbal said.

This story will be updated.