Los Baños mayor dead after being shot inside municipal hall

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 3) -- The mayor of Los Baños town was killed after being gunned down inside the municipal hall on Thursday night, authorities confirmed.

A report from the Los Baños municipal police station said mayor Caesar Perez was “shot twice” in the head at around 8:45 p.m. by unknown suspects, who immediately fled the crime scene.

Perez, a former vice governor of Laguna, was rushed to the HealthServ Los Baños Medical Center but was declared dead by the attending physician at around 9:25 p.m. He was 66 years old.

In a Facebook post, Laguna Governor Ramil Hernandez condemned the slaying and ordered immediate probe into the incident.

“Taos pusong nakikiramay ang inyong lingkod, sampu ng aking pamilya, sa mga naiwang kapamilya at kababayan sa Los Baños ni Mayor Caesar P. Perez,” Hernandez wrote.

“Mariin kong kinokondena ang nangyaring pagpatay kay Mayor Perez at pinag-uutos ko ang masusing imbestigasyon ukol sa bagay na ito upang makamit ang nararapat na hustisya,” he added.

[Translation: I sincerely offer my deepest condolences to the family and constituents of Mayor Caesar P. Perez. I strongly condemn his murder and I am calling for an investigation into the incident to bring offenders to justice.]

Perez was part of the list of alleged narco-politicians in the country, which President Rodrigo Duterte bared in 2019.

The mayor, however, flatly denied links to the illegal drug trade and called the allegation "politically-motivated" in an interview with ANC.

Perez also said that even before the list was released, he had already submitted a position paper to Malacañang and the Department of Interior and Local Government to prove his innocence.