Conflict-free barangays to receive ₱20 million funding – DILG

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 23) - The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) is planning to give ₱20 million to each barangay that is free from any conflicts and ₱1.5 million to threatened-barangays as part of the government’s campaign against communist insurgency.

DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said in statement that the financial assistance is to fund the development projects of the barangays.

Año also said that the government has already provided financial assistance to more than 2,000 communist rebels who surrendered - since 2016.

“Simula noong Hulyo 2016 hanggang Nobyembre 2019, namahagi na ang pamahalaan ng tulong pinansyal sa 2,882 na mga kababayan nating nagbalik-loob,” he said.

[Translation: Since July 2016 until November 2019, the government has extended financial assistance to 2,882 rebels who surrendered.]

“Bukod pa rito ang pagkakaloob ng tulong pangkabuhayan para sa 1,788 na dating rebelde sa pagnanais nating maging produktibo muli sila sa kanilang buhay.”

[Translation: Aside from that, the government also provided small business assistance to 1,788 former rebels as we aim to make them productive citizens.]

Further, DILG also spearheaded the demilitarization last week of 21 firearms surrendered by former rebels in Region IV-A.

“Kaya naman malaking bagay na ibinaba na ng ating mga nagbabalik-loob na kababayan ang kanilang mga sandata na siyang nangangahulugan ng pagyakap nilang muli at pagbabalik sa batas,” said Año.

[Translation: It’s a good thing that the former rebels already surrendered their firearms and this means that they are open to following the laws again.]

DILG noted that 160 communist rebels and their families have already surrendered to the government forces in Region IV-A.