Military will stick to no-ransom policy to rescue kidnapped Indonesians

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

The military said it will follow its no-ransom policy amid reports of Abu Sayyaf Group members seeking money in exchange for the release of five kidnapped Indonesians. (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 23) — The military said it will follow its no-ransom policy amid reports of Abu Sayyaf Group members seeking money in exchange for the release of five kidnapped Indonesians.

LtGen Cirilito Sobejana, Armed Forces Western Mindanao Command chief, said he is still verifying reports saying the rebels demanded a P30 million-peso ransom.

"[We] have to stick with our no ransom policy kaya [that is why] we do not allow people doing the negotiations for the payment of the ransom pagka meron man kaming mamonitor na ganoon [if we do monitor such a case]," he said.

The Abu Sayyaf abducted five Indonesians off Sabah, Malaysia last month. WesMinCom spokesman Maj. Arvin Encinas said the victims may currently be in Patikul, Sulu.

Sobejana also discouraged family members to concede money as the ASG may use this to fund future attacks.

"Giving in ransom kasi pagka may perang pumapasok sa kanila e [tiyak] magagamit nila na pambili ng kagamitan o kaya pang-finance ng ibang grupo para dumukot ng biktima at mapunta rin sa kanila para makapag-demand naman ulit sila ng ransom," he added.

[Translation: Giving in ransom, when they receive money then definitely they will use it to buy equipment or finance other groups to abduct victims and to demand more ransom.]

He added that they are also looking for a doctor whom he said the ASG kidnapped two weeks ago.