Philippines reports second COVID-19 death

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 11) — A 67-year-old Filipino woman is the Philippines’ second death due to COVID-19, the Health Department confirmed Wednesday. She is the first Filipino national to die of COVID-19

The woman was admitted at the Manila Doctors Hospital after showing symptoms on February 29. She tested positive for the virus on March 11.

The Health Department said they are still gathering and validating more information on her death.

A 44-year-old Chinese man was the country’s first death due to the viral disease. He was also the first death due to COVID-19 outside of mainland China.

The Philippines has reported that 49 people have caught COVID-19, with two Chinese nationals who were infected having recovered and another Chinese national dying.

Worldwide, COVID-19 has killed more than 4,200 people, mostly in China, since the outbreak began in Wuhan City in Hubei province in December last year. It has infected over 118,000 people globally.

According to the World Health Organization, the most commonly reported symptoms are fever, dry cough and shortness of breath. WHO said 8 in 10, or around 80 percent, of infected patients experience "mild illness" and eventually recover from COVID-19. Some 14 percent experience severe illness while 5 percent were critically ill, the WHO said.

To prevent infection, authorities are urging people to practice regular hand washing, cover the mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, and avoid close contact with those who show respiratory symptoms.