More than 140 Filipinos in Macau to be evacuated amid coronavirus scare

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 3) - More than 140 Filipinos in Macau are being prepared for evacuation to the country amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo on Tuesday said that 148 Filipinos in Macau will be repatriated soon via chartered flight.

Panelo added that the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration is also arranging to evacuate 48 of its active members there on a commercial flight.

Earlier, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin, Jr. said that Filipino workers in Hong Kong will also be repatriated soon, citing a report of domestic helpers being fired from their jobs amid the outbreak.

The government has banned travel to and from mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau following the outbreak of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Last month, the Department of Health said exempted from the travel ban are permanent residents of Hong Kong and Macau, and Filipinos studying and working there. They would, however, be required to sign a declaration signifying their knowledge and understanding of the risks involved

Hong Kong has so far recorded 98 cases of COVID-19 and Macau, 10. The World Health Organization has recorded more than 90,000 confirmed cases of the diseases worldwide.