COVER STORY

TIMELINE: How the Philippines is handling COVID-19

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — The Philippines has been grappling with COVID-19 for months now, and it has since evolved into an outbreak as communities face rising infections.

COVID-19 is a disease caused by a coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2. According to the World Health Organization, 80 percent of patients only experience mild illness and recover. Around 14 percent go through severe symptoms while five percent fall critically ill.

The disease is spread through small droplets from the nose or mouth when infected people cough or sneeze. It is said to be more damaging to the elderly, as well as people who have preexisting medical conditions. Authorities recommend regular and proper hand washing, covering the nose and mouth when coughing, and avoiding close contact with others to prevent infections.

More than 6,000 people have caught the virus between January 30 until mid-April, while a little over 600 patients have recovered so far. The death toll stands at more than 400. Authorities said the strict lockdown, which forces millions of Filipinos indoors and some out of jobs, has somewhat slowed down the number of infections.

How have government policies adapted to contain the coronavirus? We track the government's policy statements as authorities try to contain the virus.

Click here to view in full screen.

CNN Philippines' Multi-Platform News Writer Xave Gregorio contributed to this report.