No suspension for OFW cash aid, Labor dept. clarifies

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Some labor offices for overseas Filipino workers have stopped accepting applications for the government's cash aid program for the COVID-19 pandemic, due to a "limited budget", the Department of Labor and Employment announced on Wednesday. (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 22) — Overseas Filipino workers may still apply for government cash aid, the Labor department clarified Wednesday, retracting its earlier announcement that offices suspended acceptance of applications.

The agency on Tuesday afternoon said some offices have stopped accepting applications to its Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP) program due to a "limited budget" of ₱1.5 billion.

"Please be advised that the Public Advisory is a WRONG announcement," the department told the media.

Under the AKAP program, OFWs from selected countries are supposed to receive $200 worth of financial assistance, or ₱10,000 each, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. They have to submit application forms and other requirements to the labor offices in order to receive the money. Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello said earlier that OFWs under a "no work, no pay" scheme will also get the cash help.