SC junks Larry Gadon's plea blocking grant of provisional franchise to ABS-CBN

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Supreme Court justices outrightly dismissed lawyer Larry Gadon's plea, saying he will benefit from 'a huge dose of humility' rather than be overeager to run to the high court for relief.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 2) – The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected the request of lawyer Larry Gadon to block the possible issuance of a provisional franchise to ABS-CBN.

Supreme Court spokesperson Atty. Brian Hosaka confirmed that SC justices unanimously voted to junk Gadon's plea, saying he had "no legal standing" for his petition ​as he was not suffering any legal injury from the case at hand. 

Gadon, who lost in the 2019 senatorial race, ran to the high court in March for a writ of prohibition that would order House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano and House committee on legislative franchises chair Franz Alvarez to recall their request for the National Telecommunications Commission to grant a temporary permit to the TV network, ​and prevent NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba from doing so.

Lawmakers asked NTC to issue a provisional permit so that the media company can remain on air beyond the expiry of its franchise on May 4. Cordoba earlier committed that this will be granted, but went back on his word as the regulator eventually issued a cease and desist order for ABS-CBN's broadcast services on May 5.

Gadon previously sought for a temporary restraining order that would restrict Cordoba from complying with lawmakers' request for a temporary license. ​However, justices said he "failed to comply with the requisites for judicial review" and made the wrong move to run instantly to the SC.

"Petitioner could have been more circumspect. He will benefit from more restraint and a huge dose of humility," the magistrates said. "The petitioner is too distant, his interest is too inchoate and speculative, for this court to responsibly proceed."

The magistrates said they were dismissing the petition without soliciting comments from the parties in light of Gadon's supposed lapse in judgment.

ABS-CBN has been off the air for almost a month now, and has appealed the NTC's shutdown order before the Supreme Court. The NTC through Solicitor General Jose Calida, who earlier asked the court to nullify the network's existing franchise for supposed violations, asked magistrates to reject the TV network's appeal.

CNN Philippines Correspondent Anjo Alimario contributed to this report.