Philippines’ COVID-19 tally breaks 100,000 mark, as country sets new record high increase for 4th day

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 2) — Around six months after the country confirmed its first coronavirus contamination, the national tally of infections breached 100,000 on Sunday, the Department of Health said.

The agency announced 5,032 new cases, with 2,114 detected in the last three days and 2,918 more from the validation backlog.

This marks the fourth consecutive day that the country has hit a new record in single-day rise in cases. The latest increase broke Saturday’s numbers which was at 4,963,

It also brought the national case count to 103,185 where 35,569 are active cases, or currently ill patients, according to the department.

Based on the latest case bulletin, Metro Manila accounted for 2,737 of the new infections. The DOH further detailed that the top five contributing cities in the region are Quezon City with 569 cases, the City of Manila with 379, Makati with 339, Caloocan with 151, and Taguig with 132.

Among provinces, Cavite recorded 463 cases, Cebu province had 449, Laguna tallied 326, and Rizal 201.

Health officials confirmed another 301 recoveries for a total of 65,557.

The death toll also climbed to 2,059, with 20 more fatalities. Fourteen of these newly reported deaths occurred in July, three in June, and the other three in May, the DOH said. Broken down into regions, 15 were from Central Visayas, four from Metro Manila, and one from Calabarzon.

The Department of Foreign Affairs also recorded 13 new infections among Filipinos abroad, bringing the case tally to 9,569. Recoveries are still at 5,572 while the death count remains at 671.

As cases continue to rise, frontliners have called for a two-week return to strict enhanced community quarantine in Metro Manila and its nearby regions Calabarzon, Central Luzon, and Mimaropa.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte will meet with key Cabinet officials on Sunday to discuss the various concerns raised by members of the medical community while the country continues to battle the health crisis.

READ: ‘Pagod na pagod na kami’: Frontliners appeal for two-week ECQ in Mega Manila amid surge in coronavirus cases

Worldwide, 17.8 million people have been confirmed to have caught the virus, while some 685,000 have died since the outbreak began in Wuhan, China late last year, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker.