Noli de Castro withdraws from 2022 Senate race

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 13) — Former vice president and veteran broadcaster Noli De Castro on Wednesday announced that he is withdrawing from the senatorial race in the 2022 general elections.

In a statement, De Castro said he prayed to the Nazarene and realized he can help his countrymen better as a broadcaster.

"Nais kong iparating sa lahat ng aking mga kaibigan at supporters na naghahanda na sanang tumulong sa akin, na nagpasiya akong hindi na ituloy ang aking kandidatura," the TV Patrol anchor said in a statement posted by his daughter, PTV-4 general manager Kat de Castro.

[Translation: I want to let my friends and supporters know I will no longer push through with my candidacy.]

A few hours later, the Commission on Elections confirmed it has received De Castro's Statement of Withdrawal.

Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez reminds aspirants that they may withdraw their candidacy at any time before election day, but the statements should comply with Comelec rules. They still have to be submitted to the Commission en banc for resolution, Jimenez added.

De Castro filed his certificate of candidacy last week under Aksyon Demokratiko, the party of presidential aspirant Manila Mayor Isko Moreno.

Moreno said he supports De Castro's decision since it was due to personal reasons. Aksyon Demokratiko chairperson Ernest Ramel said De Castro will remain a member of the party.

Meanwhile, the Commission on Elections Law Department cancelled the candidacy of a certain independent hopeful Arlene Josephine Butay, who filed COCs for vice president and senator. Under the law and Comelec regulations, a candidate who files a COC for two or more positions shall not be eligible for any of them.