PNP records more health protocol violations after NCR eased to Alert Level 3

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 19) — The Philippine National Police said it recorded more minimum health protocol violations in the National Capital Region after it was placed under Alert Level 3.

Speaking to CNN Philippines’ The Final Word, PNP Spokesperson Col. Roderick Augustus Alba said violations increased by 48.85% to 8,273 after the region shifted to the more relaxed classification on Oct. 16.

Sa assessment po ng ating NCRPO, maa-attribute ito sa increasing number ng tao as you have observed, iyong convergence like iyong sa mga simbahan, malls, markets, restaurants. Dahil din ito sa pag-lift nga ng NCR ng Alert Level 3,” he explained.

[Translation: In the NCRPO's assessment, this can be attributed to the increasing number of people as you have observed, the convergence in churches, malls, markets, and restaurants. This is also due to easing NCR to Alert Level 3.]

Last week, the government’s pandemic task force decided to place the capital region under Alert Level 3 from Oct. 16 to 31, loosening restrictions and expanding the operation of establishments.

PNP chief Guillermo Eleazar said he already issued a directive for unit commanders in Metro Manila to ensure the public’s compliance on COVID-19 protocols. More police officers will also be deployed to help in the implementation, he added.

Alba also urged a collective effort to ensure rules are followed to control the spread of the coronavirus.

Prior to announcing the shift in alert levels, health officials and experts had observed a downtrend in the number of cases in Metro Manila.

Latest data shows that COVID-19 cases in Metro Manila are now at 840,696, with 13,869 active cases.