Bongbong Marcos takes drug test after Duterte's insinuations: 'Siyempre negative ako'

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 23)— Presidential aspirant Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos, Jr. took a drug test following President Rodrigo Duterte's allegations that a male presidential hopeful has been using cocaine.

In a statement, Marcos said he took a "cocaine test" on Monday. The result, which his camp said was negative, was submitted on Tuesday to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, the Philippine National Police, and the National Bureau of Investigation.

Marcos' counsel said the test was done in St. Luke's Medical Center Global City. CNN Philippines is reaching out to the hospital management to verify the matter.

The former senator, during his interview with broadcaster Anthony Taberna, also said he got a negative result.

"Siyempre negative ako [Of course I'm negative.]" he said.

Although insisting that Duterte was not referring to him, he said he took the test to assure Filipinos that he is against prohibited drugs.

"I really don't feel that I am the one being alluded to," Marcos said. "In spite of that, I believe it is my inherent duty as an aspiring public official to assure my fellow Filipinos that I am against illegal drugs."

Last week, Duterte claimed that the supposed cocaine user — whom he also described as a "weak leader" — has a well-known father and family name.

Days later, he described Marcos as a "weak leader" and a "spoiled child."

On Monday, the President said the cocaine-using presidential aspirant is taking illegal substances on yachts or private planes where law enforcers cannot apprehend him easily.

Meanwhile, Marcos' camp said the former senator also tested negative in shabu and marijuana drug tests earlier this month.

CNN Philippines' Lara Tan, Rex Remitio contributed to this report.