Sara Duterte withdraws from Davao mayoralty race; Bong Go hints at changes in his VP bid

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 9) — Presidential daughter Sara Duterte withdrew her candidacy for Davao City mayor on Tuesday, while her father's closest ally, vice presidential aspirant Senator Bong Go bared there may be changes in his plans for the 2022 elections.

Sara said she will be replaced by her brother Sebastian in the mayoralty race. Earlier in the day, Sebastian backed out of the vice mayoralty race. He nominated as his substitute candidate Atty. Melchor Quintain Jr., who was named as the new chief presidential legal counsel just a few weeks ago.

The Duterte siblings did not give any explanation for the switch.

Sara also did not say if she would be a substitute for any national candidate.

Meanwhile, Quitain accepted the nomination to run for the second highest local post, and confirmed that he has also withdrawn his candidacy as councilor for the city's 1st District.

Despite Sara’s earlier statements that she has no plans to run for president or vice president in the 2022 elections, several groups have been pushing her to either succeed her father or be the running mate of presidential hopeful Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.

Changes in 2022 bid?

Go turned emotional when he bared there may be changes in his plans for the upcoming elections due to the wishes of President Rodrigo Duterte.

"Itong kandidatura ko bilang bise presidente ay maaaring magbago. Gustuhin ko man magsilbi sa inyo bilang bise presidente, pero sa kagustuhan ng ating mahal na Pangulo, kailangan ko pong umiwas," he said in an event in Antipolo City on Tuesday.

[Translation: My candidacy as vice president might change. Even though I want to serve as your vice president, because of the wishes of our President, I need to step aside.]

Go also said the changes will unravel in the coming days.

The Commission on Elections allows the substitution of candidates until Nov. 15. Under the Comelec's rules, substitution is accepted if a candidate dies, withdraws, or is disqualified by the poll body.

In 2015, Duterte withdrew his reelection bid for Davao City mayor and became the substitute presidential candidate of PDP-Laban.