Robredo: More than spewing lies, Marcos willing to destroy institutions to insist on PET 'victory'

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 21) — Vice President Leni Robredo has charged defeated bet and former Senator Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. for having above and beyond in his attempt to destroy the Philippines' democratic institutions and insist that he won in the 2016 elections.

In her radio show on Sunday, Robredo slammed Marcos' alleged attempt to tarnish the integrity of the Commission on Elections and the Supreme Court just so he could falsely claim his victory in his vice presidential bid up until his electoral protest had to be fully dismissed.

"Hindi lang ito simpleng pagsisinungaling. Nakita natin kung paano 'yung ambisyon ng isang tao, ambisyon ng isang politiko para makuha 'yung kanyang inaasam ay sisirain niya talaga 'yung mga institusyon," she said over RMN-DZXL Biserbisyong Leni.

[Translation: This is not just an ordinary lie. We can see up to how far can the ambition of one person, the ambition of one politician can he go just so he can destroy the institution.]

She added: "Willing siyang sirain 'yung institusyon, bahiran ng pagduda ang Comelec, bahiran ng pagduda ang Supreme Court para lang makamtan niya 'yung kanyang kagustuhan na para bang, para sa akin, walang pakialam na pagsira sa mga democratic institutions para lang sa political gain mo."

[Translation: He is willing to destroy the institution, cast doubt on Comelec, cast doubt on the Supreme Court so he could have his way, which to me, shows no care whether he has to destroy democratic institutions for his political gain.]

The Supreme Court, sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, unanimously dismissed on Tuesday the entire electoral protest filed by Marcos against Robredo.

READ: Supreme Court unanimously junks Marcos' VP poll protest vs Robredo 

The camp of Marcos even tried to argue that the dismissal of his protest still did not include his third cause of action, which seeks to annul votes in Mindanao namely Lanao Del Sur, Maguindanao, and Basilan due to alleged fraud and terrorism. But the Supreme Court later on made it clear the PET junked his entire election protest.

Robredo called this move as Marcos' last attempt to "save face" from his supporters despite his defeat.

"Ito nga, may desisyon na, gusto pang baguhin 'yung narrative kahit alam naman niyang klarong klaro...walang ibang dahilan kung hindi linlangin ang tao, siguro magsave face sa supporters kasi pinapaniwala niya, ito 'yung nakakalungkot," she noted.

[Translation: In this case, there was already a decision but he even attempted to change the narrative even if he knew that it was already clear...there's really no reason except to deceive the people, probably so he could save face from supporters who believed in him, this is what is sad.]

In an interview with CNN Philippines last week, Robredo's legal counsel Atty. Romy Macalintal argued it was already "game over" for Marcos and it would be “very hard” to overturn the clear decision by the court’s 15-member en banc, sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal.

RELATED: VP poll protest: Robredo camp says ‘game over,’ but Marcos side wants more details 

All 15 magistrates of the high court voted to dismiss the entire poll protest— concluding more than four years of litigation on the case.

Marcos filed the protest on June 30, 2016 as he questioned the poll results in the same year, when Robredo beat him by 263,473 votes for the coveted post.