Death toll in PNP-PDEA shootout rises to 5

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 28) — The death toll in the shootout between anti-drug operatives of the Philippine National Police and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency has increased to five.

This was confirmed by National Bureau of Investigation Deputy Director Ferdinand Lavin on Sunday.

"So far five, the last count was five. We hope it stops there. May mga wounded. I have yet to go over the medical reports," says Lavin.

[Translation: So far five, the last count was five. We hope it stops there. There are others wounded. I have yet to go over the medical reports.]

However, it is unknown if the fifth fatality was part of either PNP or PDEA as Lavin said he still had to go over the medical records.

The NBI is currently in the middle of an investigation into what really happened between operatives of the two agencies that resulted in a bloody encounter last Wednesday.

Lavin said they are currently in the process of reviewing all submitted footages from the incident which includes CCTV footage and videos taken from mobile devices.

The NBI said the most challenging part of the investigation is the level of cooperation from both agencies which Lavin said are in a state of mourning.

"Ang challenge lang namin dito [The challenge here] is the level of cooperation from both PNP and PDEA," he said.

NBI will soon start authenticating documents and statements from the two sides.

"Remember we would have to get authenticated copies of documents from their sides and taking of statements hopefully we can do it this coming week or the next," said Lavin.