Alleged Abu Sayyaf sub-leader, brother of Jolo bombings suspect, killed in Sulu clash — military

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 13) — Four alleged members of the Abu Sayyaf Group, including a suspected sub-leader and the youngest brother of the 2020 Jolo twin bombings suspect, were killed during a shootout in Sulu early Sunday morning, according to the military.

The Joint Task Force-Sulu identified as among those killed suspected ASG sub-leader Injam Yadah, believed to be behind the kidnapping of several Filipino and foreign nationals. These included the abduction of five Indonesians in January 2020, who were rescued in Tawi-Tawi earlier this year.

According to the task force, its troops and the Philippine National Police entered Yadah’s residence in Brgy. Alat, Jolo at around 2 a.m. on Sunday to serve him an arrest warrant when they were fired upon by the ASG members, prompting them to return fire.

Also killed were Al-Al Sawadjaan, brother of bomb expert Mundi Sawadjaan who is tagged as the mastermind of the Jolo bombings in August 2020. The explosions killed 14 and injured at least 78 people.

The military said Al-Al is also “known to have some knowledge in bomb-making and have already pledged as a suicide bomber.”

The two others slain were Yadah’s follower identified as alias Raup and another alleged ASG member yet to be identified.

Recovered from the scene were an M653 carbine rifle, caliber .45 pistol, improvised explosive device components and 15 mobile phones, the task force said.

JTF-Sulu and 11th Infantry Division Commander MGen. William Gonzales added they are doubling their efforts to catch Mundi Sawadjaan, whose two other brothers were killed in November last year.