ICC calls for information, concerns from PH drug war victims

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 29)— The International Criminal Court called on victims of alleged crimes linked to the Philippine government’s war on drugs to voice out their concerns and expectations amid the request to investigate the Duterte administration's campaign.

“Victims of the alleged crimes have the right to submit 'representations' as per the ICC legal framework; this means that victims may provide their views, concerns and expectations regarding the Prosecutor's request to the ICC Judges for their consideration,” the ICC said in a statement posted on its website.

Concerned parties may fill out a form, which is available for download through the ICC’s website. They may also submit representations in other formats including video and audio.

Submissions will be accepted until August 13.

The ICC, however, clarified that the process is not an application for participation in court proceedings.

Earlier this month, outgoing ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda requested for a probe into the alleged crime against humanity committed under the Duterte administration’s anti-drug campaign — which, according to latest government data, saw over 6,000 people dead since 2016.

Local and international human rights groups, however, believe the death toll is much higher.

For its part, Malacañang said the ICC “can do whatever it wants,” but noted that case buildup may be difficult without cooperation from the concerned state.

Alam din po ng ICC (The ICC knows that) without cooperation from the state, napakahirap po ng (it will be difficult to establish) case buildup because all criminal cases -- even in the ICC and most especially in the ICC -- must present real evidence and not just newspaper reports,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a media briefing.