Duterte says he decided to run for VP in 2022 due to 'lack of opposition'

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 31) — President Rodrigo Duterte said he is confident of a victory in the 2022 polls, claiming there are no other viable contenders in the upcoming vice presidential race.

"Sabi ko magtakbo ako ng Vice President. Bakit? Walang oposisyon eh. Hindi naman manalo ang oposisyon na 'yan. Sigurado ako ang Otso Diretso, ulit na naman iyon," he said in a speech that was taped around midnight Monday but was aired by the state-run network on Tuesday.

[Translation: I said I will run for Vice President. Why? There is no opposition. The opposition won't win. I'm sure the Otso Diretso record will happen again.]

None of the eight candidates of Liberal Party's Otso Diretso landed a Senate seat in the 2019 midterm polls.

So far, only Senate President Vicente "Tito" Sotto III clearly expressed intention to run for vice president in next year's election.

Last week, Duterte confirmed he will seek the vice presidency once he relinquishes the highest office next year. He said he will give way if his daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, runs for president.

The 1987 Constitution does not prohibit a sitting president to run for lower political positions, other than the presidency.