Military recovers two Indonesians kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Sayfan, of the Tugboat Charles, was abducted in the high seas last June 23 — along with six other crew members.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — So far, two of the six crew members recently abducted by the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) have been recovered by authorities on Wednesday.

In the morning, Mohammad Safyan escaped from the hands of the bandits and rescued by local residents of Luuk, Sulu.

Sayfan was immediately brought to the municipal police station.

According to the Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom), the 28-year old escaped from his captors in mangrove areas of Barangay Bual and Bato-Itum when his captors said they would behead him.

He was spotted by the residents floating and was trapped in fishnets around 7:30 a.m.

Also read: MNLF backs 'all-out war' against Abu Sayyaf

The victim will be brought to the Sulu Provincial Police Office for processing and other documentation before returning him to his family.

Sayfan, a crew member of the tugboat Charles, was abducted in the high seas near the Philippine border last June 23 along with his other crew members.

One more recovery

Later in the afternoon, another Indonesian was recovered in the same town.

Maj. Filemon Tan, Wesmincom spokesman, identified the kidnap victim as a certain Ismail, chief officer of tugboat Charles.

Tan said that Ismail was found at around 4:30 p.m. while troops of the Joint Task Group Sulu was searching the area of Barangay Bual — where Sayfan was also found.

"Ismail is now in the custody of the Joint Task Force Sulu for medical check-up and will be turned over to Indonesian authorities as soon as possible," Tan said in a statement Thursday.

Zamboanga City-based correspondent Liza Jocson contributed to this report.