DNA test confirms Sulu suicide bomber’s link to ISIS – military

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 13)— A DNA test has confirmed that the foreign national behind the planned suicide bombing incident in Sulu had “links” to the ISIS group, the military said.

In a statement dated November 10 and released Wednesday, the Joint Task Force Sulu said the young foreign suicide bomber—who was killed in an encounter with government troops on November 5— was the son of the female suicide bomber who targeted a military detachment in Indanan last September. 

According to the military, the female suicide bomber, identified as “Reda Mohammad Mahmud”, was involved in the 2017 Egyptian Churches attacks that killed 92 people and injured dozens.

“She together with Abduracman and her son Abduramil traveled to Mindanao via backdoor channel to seek refuge with the ASG (Abu Sayyaf Group) in Sulu with the help of ISIS connections in Southeast Asia,” Sulu police director PCol Pablo Labra said.

The Task Force added “Abduramil”—the young suicide bomber—was not related to the other adult foreign national (Abduracman) killed in the November 5 operation.

Abduramil and Abduracman, together with another unidentified suspect, were killed in a shootout earlier this month after the military received reports that they had planned to attack Jolo. Their nationalities were not revealed.

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Western Mindanao Command Commander LtGen. Cirilito Sobejana said the planned suicide bombing could be in retaliation for the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. On October 28, United States (US) President Donald Trump announced that the group’s leader was dead following a US military raid in northwest Syria.

RELATED: PH remains on alert despite death of ISIS leader