Informant gets ₱2-M bounty for rescue of British national, Filipino wife

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 22) — The provincial government of Zamboanga del Sur gave ₱2 million to a person who provided authorities with information that led to the rescue of a British national and his Filipino wife from local terror group Abu Sayyaf.

Zamboanga del Sur Governor Victor Yu handed down Saturday the bounty he promised to any informant who could help rescue Allan and Wilma Hyrons.

‘Yung ating guide actually risked his life in helping us to rescue the victims. Siya ‘yung pinaka-final na tao na tumulong sa atin upang sa ganon makuha natin ‘yung kidnap victims,” The military’s Western Mindanao commander Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said.

[Translation: Our guide actually risked his life in helping us to rescue the victims. Our informant was the last person who helped us so we can rescue the kidnap victims.]

Yu also commended the efforts of the military along with the cooperation of the different agencies resulting in the rescue of the couple.

Sobejana said that the success of the rescue efforts could be attributed to the cooperation of every group and called it a classic example of a very good convergence among all stakeholders.

He also lauded Yu for closely coordinating in the kidnapping case and for giving the military and police the support they needed for the immediate rescue of the Hyrons couple.

The rescued by the military in Parang, Sulu, last month came after days of intense firefight with the Abu Sayyaf.

They were abducted on October 4 at the Hyronses' Beach Resort in Zamboanga del Sur, which they owned, in Takuran town.

CNN Philippines Zamboanga del Sur-based stringer Leah Agonoy contributed to this report.