At least 9 people dead from suspected poisoning after drinking lambanog

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 22) — At least nine people from are confirmed dead Sunday from suspected poisoning after reportedly consuming coconut wine or lambanog.

Eight of the victims were from Rizal, Laguna.

According to Rizal Mayor Vener Muñoz, the victims were drinking a generic brand of lambanog. Muñoz added it was unclear when the victims drank the beverage.

He also said over 100 other people complained of pain after drinking lambanog, but were not critical. They are currently being treated at the Philippine General Hospital in Manila.

In a post on Facebook, Laguna Governor Ramil Hernandez said he has banned the sale of lambanog in the province so authorities can investigate the cases of poisoning in Rizal.

Meanwhile, another person from Quezon died from alleged poisoning, also after drinking lambanong.

A report from police in Candelaria said several people were drinking the beverage which they bought from a store in Barangay Sta. Catalina Sur on Saturday. At around 11 a.m. the following day, police said they received a call from barangay chairwoman Myla Escamilla saying the victims were brought to hospital for alleged poisoning,

The police report said two were comatose, while four others were discharged after being treated.

Authorities in Candelaria are now investigating the case.

This is a developing story.