Albay under state of calamity due to dengue

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Legazpi City, Albay (CNN Philippines, August 13) — The entire province of Albay is now under a state of calamity due to the rising cases of dengue.

The Sangguniang Panlalawigan passed a resolution today declaring a state of calamity in the entire province, upon the recommendation of the Provincial Health Office and a thorough review of dengue policies and action plans by the provincial council’s committee on health.

Albay has recorded 3,055 dengue cases with 12 deaths as of August 7. This is almost seven times higher compared with the number of cases last year, when the province recorded 455 dengue cases and 4 deaths from January to July.

Provincial Health Officer Dr Antonio Ludovice Jr. said the municipalities of Daraga, Tiwi and Pioduran have the most number of dengue cases in Albay.

Albay ranks third in the Bicol region with the most number of dengue cases.

Ludovice said he has requested at least P2 million to be spent for dengue kits and anti-dengue chemicals and sprays which will be used for misting.

Prior to this declaration, Albay governor Al Francis Bichara convened the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to discuss the dengue situation in the entire province.

Bichara said he has also asked the provincial board to review the provincial dengue ordinance. This was enacted in 2012 to update the provincial health department’s strategies against the mosquito-borne disease.

Daraga town in Albay had earlier declared a state of calamity due to rising dengue cases.

Albay is the 25th local government unit to declare a state of calamity due to dengue.

Dengue cases have surged to a five-year high in the country, with the number of those infected with the disease hitting 167,606 as of July 27. Over 600 have died from dengue from January to July 20.