Oriental Mindoro's first COVID-19 patient is a 1-year-old girl

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 27) — A 1-year-old girl tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Oriental Mindoro — the first case in the province, Governor Humerlito "Bonz" Dolor announced Friday.

Dolor said swabs taken from the baby from Barangay Ilaya in Calapan City were among the eight samples processed by the Department of Health.

The seven other swabs tested negative for the novel coronavirus, while the results for five other samples are still pending.

The baby, who is 21 months old, was in Alabang in Muntinlupa City from March 5-12 before she was brought to the province.

Dolor said he requested for a confirmatory test on the kid's sample, which the Department of Health accepted. Her guardians have also been tested for the disease, while contact tracing is being carried out by the provincial and city health office.

Oriental Mindoro, a province in southwestern Luzon, is part of the month-long enhanced community quarantine imposed by President Rodrigo Duterte to contain the spread of the virus, which has infected 707 people in the country and led to 45 deaths. So far, 28 patients have recovered.