Baguio City class suspension extended until May 31

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Baguio City (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 9) — Classes will remain suspended in Baguio City until May 31, a full month after government’s scheduled lifting of the extended Luzon lockdown, Mayor Benjamin Magalong said.

Magalong signed an executive order on Wednesday extending the city’s class suspension, which was supposed to be lifted on April 15. But with the quarantine extended until April 30, Magalong said “[We] cannot be complacent and we must continue to be vigilant in the face of this emerging disease.”

Culmination rites are also prohibited during the suspension period. Schools are directed to coordinate with the Department of Education, the Commission on Higher Education and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority for further instructions regarding the guidelines.

Baguio city has been hailed for its response to the COVID-19 crisis, after no new cases have been recorded for over a week.

Magalong attributed the summer capital’s low numbers to mass testing and effective contact tracing. Baguio has so far listed 14 cases of COVID-19 and one fatality.