Cebu governor: We will not demand aid from national govt

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 27) – The Cebu provincial government will not demand aid from the national government in consideration of other Visayas and Mindanao areas which were equally devastated by Typhoon Odette.

Cebu Governor Gwen Garcia emphasized they are thankful for all the assistance provided by the national government since the onslaught of the typhoon in mid-December.

"We will not demand because of the massive destruction of Typhoon Odette also in other provinces. We will just help ourselves here in Cebu. We will just do what we can," said Garcia.

Cebu province has so far received ₱14.1 million from the national government.

Garcia said what’s important now is the continuous operation of the provincial government in responding to the needs of affected communities.

The Cebu governor added that disaster response funds can also be sourced from their other budget items as the provincial calamity fund is almost fully utilized.

"I will be grateful, but we will not demand and I will just try to manage as much as we can," Garcia said.

Over 24,000 families in the province were affected by the destruction brought by Typhoon Odette, according to the latest National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council situation report.

Cebu-based correspondent Dale Israel contributed to this report.