Former UST head coach Aldin Ayo to appeal UAAP ban

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 11) - Former University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers head coach Aldin Ayo plans to file an appeal for his indefinite ban sanction over his major role in the training "bubble" in Sorsogon.

"I deeply feel that the indefinite ban imposed by the UAAP Board against me is not appropriate under the circumstances. I will seek a reconsideration of such sanction," Ayo said in a statement on Friday.

The University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Board of Trustees slapped an indefinite ban on Ayo on Wednesday in all of the league's events.

In a statement, the UAAP said the official report of UST showed that Ayo endangered the health and well-being of the student athletes under his charge when he conducted the training in Sorsogon during a government-declared state of public emergency.

Ayo resigned from his post last week.

The said locked-up training led to the controversial transfer of former team captain CJ Cansino to the University of the Philippines, who stressed he was axed in the team and left the "bubble" due to his alleged deteriorating mental health.

Former Tigers Brent Paraiso, Ira Bataller, and Rhenz Abando are now part of UST sister school and defending NCAA men's basketball champions Colegio de San Juan de Letran.

Ayo first made a mark in the Philippine collegiate basketball scene by winning a championship in his maiden year as head coach with Letran in 2015, where they aborted rival San Beda's six-peat title chase in the NCAA Season 91 finals.

The following year, he moved to De La Salle University in the UAAP and guided them to a title by defeating rival Ateneo de Manila University in the finals. He transferred to UST in 2018, where he led the Growling Tigers to a runner-up finish in Season 82 last year.